Many fire incidents were reported in different areas of Karachi within a few weeks recently, the most devastating being the one at the Cooperative Market in Saddar where around 500 shops were gutted. The shop-owners should work in cohesion with all relevant departments to improve the situation inside the markets. Electricity wires are seen hanging loosely, and there are no fire-extinguishers around. Professionals must conduct regular inspection of the electricity network inside the markets.
Khurram Zia Khan